This Tutorial will show you how to embed your posh 30 sec promo video into your twitter account timeline. it shows up like a promoted twitter ad video . The video is playing without sound until the user clicks on it - perfect ! .
What you will need :
- A modern iPhone ( Gen 4 + ) or iPad ( iOS V8 +)
- Latest version of software for the device (including twitter app)
- The phone to be already synchronised with a Mac
- latest version of iTunes and iphoto
- Video editing software with good export functions ( FCPX or Premiere Pro for example )
- a Gb or so of free space on the device
- Make a 31 second video - make sure the project frame rate is 29.97 Fps for optimum quality when played back .End the main content of the video ( and audio ) at about 28 or 29 seconds and have the rest black and silent - This is VERY important for one of the final steps when posting
- Render out in the correct form for an iPhone 4 or later - Premiere Pro and FCPX have presets for these -720p is perfect - no point going 1080 in case you need to upload on the move and use network data. There are some very important settings you need to adhere to if not using a preset
- Make sure it encoded using the H264 Codec (Picture below is from Premiere's output module )
- Now open iPhoto on your mac
- Add a new album called “promo vids” and drop the rendered videos into this album
- Connect you iPhone to your mac and close iPhoto .. Click on iPhone icon in the top left underneath the transport controls , then the ‘Photo’ tab in the settings and make sure everything looks like the picture below with your new album selected
- You may wish to have other sync settings depending on which media you already have in your phone
- Hit the Sync button on iTunes on the bottom right to transfer the video content to the Iphone
- The videos have to show up in the ‘Photo' app on the iPhone to work so make sure you can see them ..
- Open Twitter, Compose your Tweet as usual - there is absolutely no way of making the video clickable so I keep a copy of bitty links in my notes app to copy and paste
- Click on the camera icon shown in the picture
- It will default to just photos , click on the “albums’ top left to go up a level :
- Scroll down to the 'videos' section and select your video content
- Now the reasons for the timings at the front of this tutorial become apparent -
- If you upload the same video over and over again twitter will stop the tweets deeming them duplicates ..
- A 31 second video is too long for twitter so we use this length to trick the system
- Using the twitter edit timeline at the bottom of the screen select 30 seconds of video ( make sure it’s right up against the front every time ) ,
- Twitter will then crop the vid and create a new file in the phone with a unique name and tweet this once you’ve done edited
- Sit back with a smug look on your face and consider growing a beard if you don’t already have one
Hope this helps - It's working as of Aug 2015 and undoubtedly things will change but i reckon we've got a year of free promo vid uploads till then !
Any comments please leave below. if you have worked out how to do this on android/ PC - email us Here
James wiltshire - F9 Audio / Freemasons